Saturday, April 28, 2012

        During my semester long stay in Toledo, I was enrolled in five Spanish classes at La Fundación Ortega y Gasset.  Because La Fundación Ortega y Gasset offered such a large amount of interesting classes, it was hard to make my final decision.
        However, after thinking long and hard I finally settled on an introductory Spanish linguistics class, an introductory Spanish literature class, an introductory Spanish culture and civilization class, an introductory Spanish conversational class as well as a class that looked at Toledo's art and architecture.  (I highlighted this class in my second post.)
       Although I thought all of my classes were extremely interesting, my introductory Spanish culture and civilization class was one that taught me the most interesting things.  In this class,  I was allowed to learn a lot about Spain's demographic makeup, geography, historical background as well as its present situation in the European Union.
       One unit that our class had that I thought was the most interesting was one on Spain's numerous autonomous communities.  In Spain, there are 17 autonomous communities.  Within each of these communities each one has their own culture and way of life.
       In some, like Galicia, the Basque Country, and Catalonia, they even speak a second language in addition to Spanish.  Here's a map of Spain and its 17 autonomous communities designated by name. Take a look!


        Because the autonomous communities of Galicia, the Basque Country, and Catalonia each speak a distinct language, which in my opinion makes them the most culturally diverse of the 17, my next three posts will dedicate a special focus to them.
       Well this is all for now, I hope you have enjoyed my fifteenth post!  In my next post, as I have said, I will continue explaining about Spain's autonomous communities, having a special focus on the first  autonomous community of Galicia.

Here's where I found the above photo of Spain's 17 autonomous communities.
 
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhb2-8aC33DGqmuBajDp4iVLV3B5zO1TIuRQ395TarZUqZBZcxbXlD6rxvKdHDGC225MCLpW973g3W_OPGN2klv9GUiFn4aOPcOD7ZydNssl27GxAkrVBVcSGOqoLIQjPlcxwTUJxs3q6s/s1600/Spain4.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment